Refuse & Recycling
Click this link for up-to-date information about Recycling Right!
Beginning April 1, 2004, Strasburg Borough Council adopted a Refuse & Recycling Ordinance No. 2004-1 for Residential Trash Collection, which requires all trash haulers in Strasburg Borough to become licensed. There is no fee to the haulers for the license, just annual completion of an application. However, the haulers MUST OFFER RECYCLING to their customers.
The current registered haulers in Strasburg Borough are:
Cauler Container, Phone: (717) 806-0991
Eagle Disposal, Phone: (717) 355-9560
Econ Refuse Service, Phone: (717) 529-1292 or 1 (866) 636-3266
Republic Services of PA, Phone: (717) 845-1557 or 1 (800) 210-9675
Waste Management, Phone: 1 (800) 822-4709
Following the updated list of materials that can be recycled, recyclable items that must be offered by your hauler for collection include:
- Corrugated cardboard, flattened (boxes such as cereal and juice boxes, newspaper and egg cartons are NOT recyclable).
- Plastic bottles and jugs with necks. (The bottles are labeled #1 or #2 usually on the bottom and should be flattened to conserve space. All caps should be removed and discarded as refuse. Other plastics are not recyclable in this program.)
- Steel and aluminum food and beverage cans (Containers should be rinsed and not crushed. Foil and pie plates are not recyclable.)
- Clear and colored glass (green and brown) food and beverage containers (Containers should be rinsed and discard lids. You do not need to take off the labels. Not recyclable glass items include light bulbs, window and auto glass, drinking glasses and cookware.)
- Tires & large appliances (must be collected at least once per year)
Recycling pickup is available every time your trash is collected, please put out your recycling bin only when it is full to allow the recycling trucks to make fewer stops and provide faster, more efficient collection service. You should put out recyclable materials for collection at the same time you take out your trash. If you need a recycling bin, please stop by the Strasburg Borough Office at 145 Precision Avenue Monday-Friday from 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM.
Household Hazardous Waste Facility
Your household hazardous waste materials can be disposed of free of charge at the Household Waste Facility (HHW) located at 1299 Harrisburg Pike, Lancaster, PA. Their receiving hours are: Monday-Friday 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM and Saturdays from 8:00 AM to 12:00 Noon. Learn more at www.lcswma.org or by calling 717-397-9968.
Items that can be brought to the HHW facility include:
- Automotive fluids (max. 5 gallons per container)
- Batteries: vehicle and household
- Chemistry sets
- Cooking and frying oils (max 5 gallons per container)
- Electronic waste or “e-waste” (see below)
- Fire extinguishers
- Floor and furniture polish
- Fuel: kerosene, gasoline and propane
- Household cleaners
- Lawn treatments: herbicides and pesticides
- Mercury-containing items (30 maximum per month): ballasts, fluorescent bulbs, thermostats and thermometers
- Paint, rust inhibitors, stains, turpentine and thinners
- Photographic and pool chemicals
These “e-waste” items are accepted at the HHW Facility (only 10 items per customer, per day):
- Stereos, CD players, turntables, speakers (no wood)
- Computer peripherals: keyboard, mouse, printer and speakers
- Computers: desktop and laptop
- DVD and VCR players
- MP3 players, iPods, PDA’s, game players
- E-readers, tablets, cell phones, smart phones
- Only the items listed above are accepted at the HHW Facility. All other materials, including appliances, are considered trash and may be disposed of for a fee.
- Empty paint and liquid containers are not accepted at the HHW Facility and should be disposed of as regular trash.
- Household batteries can also be placed into a “battery bag” and sat beside your trash receptacle. The hauler should not throw the battery bag into the truck with the other trash – it should be placed in a bucket or container that they will take to the HHW facility. Additional “battery bags” are also available at the Borough Office.