Refuse & Recycling
Beginning April 1, 2004, Strasburg Borough Council adopted Refuse & Recycling Ordinance No. 2004-1 for Residential Trash Collection, which requires all trash haulers in Strasburg Borough to become licensed. There is no fee to the haulers for the license, just annual completion of an application. However, the haulers MUST OFFER RECYCLING to their customers.
The current registered haulers in Strasburg Borough are;
Cauler Container, Phone: (717) 806-0991
Eagle Disposal, Phone: (717) 355-9560
Econ Refuse Service, Phone: (717) 529-1292 or 1 (866) 636-3266
Republic Services of PA, Phone: (717) 845-1557 or 1 (800) 210-9675
Waste Management, Phone: 1 (800) 822-4709
Due to recycling changes in the industry, only the following “Big 4” items can be recycled:
Corrugated cardboard (flattened)
Plastic bottles and jugs with necks (emptied, rinsed & lids removed)
Metal food and beverage cans (emptied, rinsed & lids removed)
Glass jars and bottles (emptied, rinsed & lids removed)
Recycling pickup is available every time your trash is collected, please put out your recycling bin only when it is full to allow the recycling trucks to make fewer stops and provide faster, more efficient collection service. You should put out recyclable materials for collection at the same time you take out your trash. If you need a recycling bin, please stop by the Strasburg Borough Office at 145 Precision Avenue Monday-Friday from 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM.
Household Hazardous Waste Facility
Your household hazardous waste materials can be disposed of free of charge at the Household Waste Facility (HHW) located at 1299 Harrisburg Pike, Lancaster, PA. Their receiving hours are: Monday-Friday 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM and Saturdays from 8:00 AM to 12:00 Noon. Learn more at lcswma.org or by calling 717-397-9968.
Items that can be brought to the HHW facility include:
- Automotive fluids (max. 5 gallons per container)
- Batteries: vehicle and household
- Chemistry sets
- Cooking and frying oils (max 5 gallons per container)
- Electronic waste or “e-waste” (see below)
- Fire extinguishers
- Floor and furniture polish
- Fuel: kerosene, gasoline and propane
- Household cleaners
- Lawn treatments: herbicides and pesticides
- Mercury-containing items (30 maximum per month): ballasts, fluorescent bulbs, thermostats and thermometers
- Paint, rust inhibitors, stains, turpentine and thinners
- Photographic and pool chemicals
These “e-waste” items are accepted at the HHW Facility (only 10 items per customer, per day):
- Stereos, CD players, turntables, speakers (no wood)
- Computer peripherals: keyboard, mouse, printer and speakers
- Computers: desktop and laptop
- DVD and VCR players
- MP3 players, iPods, PDA’s, game players
- E-readers, tablets, cell phones, smart phones
- Only the items listed above are accepted at the HHW Facility. All other materials, including appliances, are considered trash and may be disposed of for a fee.
- Empty paint and liquid containers are not accepted at the HHW Facility and should be disposed of as regular trash.
- Household batteries can also be placed into a “battery bag” and sat beside your trash receptacle. The hauler should not throw the battery bag into the truck with the other trash – it should be placed in a bucket or container that they will take to the HHW facility. Additional “battery bags” are also available at the Borough Office.