Refuse & Recycling
Beginning April 1, 2004, Strasburg Borough Council adopted a Refuse & Recycling Ordinance No. 2004-1 for Residential Trash Collection, which requires all trash haulers in Strasburg Borough to become licensed. There is no fee to the haulers for the license, just annual completion of an application. However, the haulers MUST OFFER RECYCLING to their customers.
The current registered haulers in Strasburg Borough are:
Brian Trash Removal Service, Phone: (717) 584-3222
Cauler Container, Phone: (717) 806-0991
Eagle Disposal, Phone: (717) 355-9560
Econ Refuse Service, Phone: (717) 529-1292 or 1 (866) 636-3266
Lebanon Farms Disposal, Phone: 1 (800) 533-5356
Waste Management, Phone: 1 (800) 822-4709
York Waste, Phone: (717) 845-1557 or 1 (800) 210-9675
Recyclable items that must be offered by your hauler for collection include:
- Newsprint (should be tied in bundles or placed in paper grocery bags and set on top or next to your recycling bin. Paper other than newspaper such as magazines and “junk mail” is NOT acceptable. Keep newspapers dry.
- Clear and colored glass (green and brown) food and beverage containers (Containers should be rinsed and discard lids. You do not need to take off the labels. Not recyclable glass items include light bulbs, window and auto glass, drinking glasses and cookware.)
- Steel and aluminum food and beverage cans (Containers should be rinsed and not crushed. Foil and pie plates are not recyclable.)
- Plastic bottles #1 and #2 (The bottles are labeled #1 or #2 usually on the bottom and should be flattened to conserve space. All caps should be removed and discarded as refuse. Other plastics are not recyclable in this program.)
- Tires & large appliances (must be collected at least once per year)
Recycling pickup is available every time your trash is collected, please put out your recycling bin only when it is full to allow the recycling trucks to make fewer stops and provide faster, more efficient collection service. You should put out recyclable materials for collection at the same time you take out your trash. If you need a recycling bin, please stop by the Strasburg Borough Office at 145 Precision Avenue Monday-Friday from 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM.
Household Hazardous Waste Facility
Your household hazardous waste materials can be disposed of free of charge at the Household Waste Facility (HHW) located at 1299 Harrisburg Pike, Lancaster, Phone # 397-9968. Their receiving hours are: Monday-Friday 8:30 AM to 3:00 PM and every 2nd & 4th Saturday from 8:00 AM to 12:00 Noon.
Items that can be brought to the HHW facility include:
- Computers, monitors and associated equipment (printers, keyboards, etc)
- Auto products (transmission & brake fluids, antifreeze, used oil, batteries)
- Paints and paint-related products (stain, turpentine, thinner, rust protectant)
- Household cleansers, floor polish
- Driveway sealant
- Gasoline, kerosene
- Household batteries
- Photographic & pool chemicals
- Mercury containing devices (thermometers)
- Pesticides, herbicides, insecticides
- Old chemistry sets
- Fire extinguishers
- Fluorescent bulbs
Household batteries can also be placed into a “battery bag” and sat beside your trash receptacle. The hauler should not throw the battery bag into the truck with the other trash – it should be placed in a bucket or container that they will take to the HHW facility. Additional “battery bags” are also available at the Borough Office.